Forests, Responsible Forest Management and Certification
Forests, Responsible Forest Management and Forest Certification
What Forest Stewardship Council® (FSC®¹) means to Coillte
- Independent endorsement by globally recognised organisation that Coillte manages 7% of the land of Ireland in a responsible and sustainable way delivering social, economic and environmental benefits.
- Growth in exports of certified sustainable timber and timber products from Ireland, supporting jobs and communities across the country.
- A positive outlook for the sector as certified timber and timber products play a key part in delivering sustainable buildings in the future
- Recognition that our approach to managing all our businesses from forestry to renewable energy, panel product manufacture and telecommunications masts is built on solid sustainable values which deliver a range of benefits for all stakeholders.
Growth of exports from the timber sector
- Between 2000 and 2012 the volume of sawn wood which has been exported by the saw mill sector in the Republic of Ireland has increased significantly, from less than 30% to over 70% today. One of the key enablers for this is the availability of FSC certified timber from Coillte's forests.
- Over the past number of years since 2007, Ireland was the largest exporter of medium density fibreboard (MDF) to the UK. This is again a clear indicator that Coillte’s ability to produce certified MDF at its plant in Clonmel has been a key driver in exports.
- Coillte manages 7% of the land in Ireland in a sustainable and responsible way. Coillte’s role also includes the innovative use of this land estate for the development of renewable energy and telecommunications infrastructure to derive the maximum commercial benefit from the estate.
- Coillte is also Ireland’s leading provider of world class recreation facilities such as mountain bike trails and forest parks and is very active in encouraging people to enjoy the great natural resource on our doorstep. For more information visit www.coillteoutdoors.ie
- FSC is an independent, non-governmental, not-for-profit organization established to promote the responsible management of the world’s forests.
- Established in 1993 as a response to concerns over global deforestation, FSC is a pioneer forum where the global consensus on responsible forest management convenes and through democratic process effects solutions to the pressures facing the world’s forests and forest-dependent communities.
- FSC certification provides a credible link between responsible production and consumption of forest products, enabling consumers and businesses to make purchasing decisions that benefit people and the environment as well as providing ongoing business value.
- FSC is nationally represented in more than 50 countries around the world.
For more see www.fsc.org
1 FSC licence code FSC- C005714