Coillte is Ireland’s largest producer of roundwood, the raw material that our sawmill and panel board customers process into high quality timber and timber products.
Sitka spruce is our main commercial tree species. Our annual production of approximately 2.6 million cubic metres of roundwood generates revenue of around €120 million.
Our wood is FSC®¹ (Forest Stewardship Council®) and PEFC™ (Programme for the Endorsement of Forest Certification schemes) certified and our key customers operate in sawmilling, wood based panels, animal bedding, biomass and firewood.
¹FSC licence code FSC- C005714
Our roundwood is categorised into three products which our customers process into a wide range of uses.
|Coillte log type||Customer end market use|
|Pulp wood||Wide variety of uses including; wood based panel products (MDF, OSB), animal bedding products, biomass and firewood.|
|Small sawlog||Pallet and fencing type products used in Irish and UK markets|
|Large sawlog||Mainly construction carcassing grade timber for use in the Irish and UK construction markets|
We sell wood in a number of ways: standing in the forest, harvested to roadside for collection or delivered to our customers.
We operate an innovative sales model with:
- An annual allocation of 50% of our volume to our main sawmill customers based on past purchases
- A monthly auction of available volume to our sawmill customers
- Direct sales to biomass, wood based panels and bedding customers
- Local sales for certain products.
Coillte sell firewood, depending on availability, through our network of Harvesting Managers who operate throughout the country. The minimum amount of firewood that Coillte sell is a lorry load (approx. 30 cubic meters). It is sold on a delivered in basis. The delivery location must allow for safe entry, offloading and exit of lorries. It comes in lengths ranging in diameter from a minimum of 7cm up to a maximum of approximately 35cm. These logs will need to processed further to convert to blocks of firewood. It is usually unseasoned.
If you are interested in finding out more information please contact:
Firewood Sales on 01 2011103 or email Firewoodsales@coillte.ie
In Partnership With Our Customers
We sell wood to our customers who process this wood into high quality timber, panel products and other wood products. Much of this wood is sold by our customers in the UK market. Irish sawmills export about 70% of their sawnwood product there, with its value of €120 million adding up to about 6% of UK market share.
Panel processors export more widely. More than 90% of this €200 million business is exported overseas.
Coillte is committed to supporting the growth of the Irish forest sector through our own annual sales, enabling our customers to grow their businesses with 2016 being a record year for wood volume produced by Coillte.
Haulage of Timber
Coillte Code of Practice for Timber Removals 2015
You can Download the code of practice here(PDF 1.7MB).
Outlined in our code of practice is a number of protocols that must also be observed. Links to these protocols can be found below:
- Policy on Training and Certification for Loading & Haulage 2015
- Managing Timber Transport Good Practice Guide - published by FITG, 2014
- Road Haulage of Round Timber Code of Practice - published by IFIC.
- Code of Practice for Managing Safety and Health in Forest Operations - published by the Health and Safety Authority, 2009
- Coillte ICTS User Quick - published by Coillte
- Coillte Paperless TRP V2.2 User Guide
- Drivers Handbook - published by Coillte 2017
- Round Timber Transport – Guidelines for Hauliers and Drivers published by FITG 2017
- Load Safety Series – Information Sheet – Safe Load Securing of Round Timber published by Health & Safety Authority 2017
Please contact our Distribution Manager by email firstname.lastname@example.org if you require any of the above documents in another language or for more information on our code of practice.
Explore Our Forests
Hand in hand with our businesses, we are Ireland’s largest provider of outdoor recreation and manage one of the greatest biodiversity resources in the country. With 260 recreations sites and more than 90,000 hectares managed for biodiversity across the country, there is a place near you to get close to nature, to relax and to play.