Translated from the Irish, Lacca has several meanings, including ‘a stone or flagstone’, ‘the side of a hill’ and ‘a place full of stones or flags’.
The Down Survey map of the area which dates to 1656 indicates the presence of old woodland, but its exact location is unknown. Later maps from the nineteenth century show notable woodland coverage in this area. The locality was described then as ‘being too rugged and is a quarry for a fine stone similar to that of Portland; there are also limestone quarries and a slate quarry’.
The restoration of Lacca requires measures to encourage the development of the ground vegetation as well as increasing the amount of native trees and shrubs. In time, herbs, ferns and grasses from existing groves of native vegetation on-site and in the vicinity will eventually spread throughout the newly planted woodland. Alder, ash, birch, cherry and oak will be planted and natural regeneration encouraged. An important feature of the site is the lack of invasive non-native exotics like rhododendron and laurel. The complex of habitats in the locality, which includes bog and scrubby areas, suggest that the range of insects present could well be extensive.
Things to do
Walk: Plenty of walking can be had on the forest roads in Lacka woods.