Glasderry is an old woodland site, and was formerly part of the Lloyd estate. A feature of this site is Lough Roe, an artificial lake. This lake was created for the estate to ensure a plentiful supply of water for the domestic needs, the gardens and recreational needs of the Lloyd family who lived in nearby Gloster House. There are a number of viewing points around the lake on this walk.
The Lloyd family lived in Gloster House, from the 17th century. This family were very influential and important in 18th and 19th century Ireland. The house dates from the same time as the rebuilding of Birr Castle. John Lloyd, a lawyer, was a Kings County M.P. in the Irish Parliament of 1775 in which he took an independent stand. During most of the 19th century, one member or another of the family was elected to Westminster. The house was purchased by the Salesian Order in 1958 when it became a boarding school for girls.
Things to do
Walk: There are no way marked trails in Glasderry but plenty of walking on the forest roads and around the lake.