Nurseries Production Manager
To plan and manage the Nursery Plant Production programmes in line with agreed budgetary targets, and the delivery of exceptional levels of product & service quality to both internal & external customers. This role has responsibility for the consistent delivery of top class quality plant material produced to required market specifications at a very competitive cost across all nurseries.
Role Specific Terms
This is a permanent contract and the location of the position is Ballintemple Nurseries, Co. Carlow.
People, Leadership, Organisation and Culture
- Create a culture of high performance and motivation in Nursery Production Operations by empowering, developing and coaching people.
- Hold regular open discussions on performance with production staff in order to make sure all objectives are met.
- Promote a commercial culture in production operations where decisions are made with full consideration of maximising cashflow and long-term value.
- Promote an attitude of simplification to reduce complexity and allow our people to do their best work.
- Actively promote and prioritise a safe working environment for our people, our contractors and customers in Nurseries.
- Contribute to the leadership of nurseries operations on a national basis to make sure that process improvement strategies are developed to improve quality, reduce cost, increase standardisation and implement streamlined business processes.
- Be accountable for developing own contribution to the business which includes driving personal development initiatives.
- As a member of the Nurseries Team, contribute effectively to the successful delivery of our strategy.
- Act as a visible role model for the Group’s values.
Planning & Management
- Plan and implement the Nursery production programme in the context of achieving delivery of planned numbers of stock to required market specifications and costs of production sufficient to allow an adequate gross margin on sales.
- Nursery product and process innovation through the ongoing review of best practice and the management of appropriate Research and Design programmes.
- Meet all financial targets in line with the objectives of the business.
- Liaise with the Procurement Team to prepare and implement a procurement plan for the production of plants in each Nursery to ensure that there is sufficient capacity, competitive rates and effective contractor development to fully meet the needs of the Nursery.
- Liaise with the Establishment Process Team to prepare the annual plant supply Plan.
- Liaise with other members of Plant Production and Plant Sales within Nurseries as a prerequisite to the delivery of consistent levels of production and profitability and improvement.
- Implement quality control systems in Nursery production to ensure that operations deliver quality plants to specification to our customers.
- Drive a programme of continuous improvement with all nurseries contractors in order to improve the service that they provide to Coillte.
- Develop a strong culture of operational excellence and continuous improvement in all our operations to eliminate waste and inefficiency.
- Ensure production complies with statutory requirements and best practice in terms of Forest Reproductive Material Directive, health & safety management, environmental management, procurement of goods & services, and other corporate governance.
- Collaborate with Plant Sales and Plant Production to deliver consistent levels of profitability, exceptional levels of customer service, and the long-term strategic development of the Nurseries business.
- Collaborate closely with the Business Area Units (BAUs) and the Establishment Process Team to ensure that plant production levels are sufficient to fully meet Supply Commitments.
- Collaborate closely with the Establishment Process Team to ensure the long term production plans match our long term establishment planting strategy.
- To support the overall Nursery Team in creating a culture of innovation, collaboration and simplification across all the processes and operations.
- Drive for Results: The drive to exceed goals and push self and others towards high levels of performance.
- Customer Focus: A good understanding and knowledge of our customers’ needs and requirements.
- Communication: Excellent communication skills with an ability to actively listen and negotiate in a demanding environment.
- Collaboration: Excellent interpersonal skills to build effective relationships with staff, customers and stakeholders.
- Problem-Solving: Proactive in identifying issues and addressing them promptly by working on own initiative.
- Analysis: Strong numeracy and analytical skills and an ability to present information clearly and concisely.
- Multi-Tasking & Organised: A highly organised individual that can prioritise and execute several concurrent initiatives.
- Delegation and Decision-making: The capacity to make good decisions and delegate responsibility and accountability to the appropriate level.
- Execution Excellence: The capacity to reduce complexity and increase efficiency and simplification in our business processes.
Desired Professional Competencies
- Education and Experience: Relevant qualification to HETAC level 8 in Forestry , Horticulture or related discipline with 3-5 years demonstrable experience in commercial forest nursery tree production.
- Commercial and Financial Acumen: Can focus on financial and commercial implications of their own activities through minimising costs and maximising revenues.
- People Management: A credible individual with previous experience in managing people.
- Regulatory Compliance: Knowledge and experience to promote a safe-working environment and ensure compliance with environmental, regulatory and silvicultural standards.
Closing date for applications is 4pm, Wednesday 25 April 2018. Please submit your cv to email@example.com