Responsible for the organisation and supervision of forest operations in the Business Area Unit (BAU), ensuring excellent quality assurance, good production and cost control, compliance with environmental and social standards, and safe work practices. Manage and develop Contractors and Forest Operatives to ensure that all operational production targets are met on time as efficiently as possible. Be flexible in implementing forest security measures to protect and maintain the forest estate across the BAU. Fully utilise available technologies and new business processes to ensure efficiencies are delivered and support optimal operational performance.
Terms and Conditions
Reports to: BAU Function Lead
People, Leadership, Organisation and Culture
- Manage Contractors and Forest Operatives to ensure that they deliver operational targets, meet quality standards and provide excellent value for money.
- Develop Contractors to ensure that they can deliver their best performance and are able to step-up to provide a more rounded service.
- Show flexibility to support the business across all operations within the BAU to facilitate better geographic coverage across the BAU.
- Promote a commercial culture in forest operations where decisions are made with full consideration of maximising revenue and reducing cost.
- Promote an attitude of simplification to reduce complexity and allow us to do our best work.
- Actively promote and prioritise a safe working environment for our people, our contractors and customers in the forest estate.
- Be accountable for developing own contribution to the business which includes driving personal development initiatives.
- Act as a visible role model for the Group’s values.
Planning & Management
- Ensure that Operational Plans are in place to efficiently carry out forest operations throughout the year by accurately phasing work packages and assigning Contractors.
- Assist the Manager in preparing the operational budgets to ensure that they are well aligned to the needs of the BAU, and also accurately carry out any production and financial forecasting.
- Support the Manager in meeting all financial targets such as revenue and operational costs, by making sure that these are fully considered during forest operations.
- Organise and supervise staff, contractors and resources to complete operational programs to agreed timeframes.
- Implement quality control systems in the BAU to ensure that forest operations are carried out to the required standard through effective site supervision and monitoring.
- Provide accurate and timely production information from field operations to allow the Forest Manager and BAU make reliable tactical and operational decisions.
- Provide timely and accurate Field Data Capture information after all forest operations.
- Carry out accurate and timely work-recording of all forest operations.
- Ensure that all forest operations comply with Forest Certification Standards, Corporate Governance, Standard Operating Procedures, Codes of Practice and Forest Service Guidelines.
- Implement security measures including fire control measures, trespass, timber security, litter management to ensure protection of our timber and forest estate.
- Ensure that Contractors and Forest Operatives are implementing standardised and best practices to ensure that all operations are carried out to the required guidelines.
- Develop a strong culture of operational excellence and continuous improvement in all our forest operations to eliminate waste and inefficiency.
External Focus: Customers & Stakeholders
- Ensure that timber production levels are sufficient to fully meet Log & Pulp Supply Commitments.
- Provide accurate and timely data on production forecasts and roadside stocks to the Harvest Manager in order to effectively manage Customer Supply Plans.
- Build strong and effective relationships with local stakeholders in the BAU to ensure business objectives and goals are supported and realised.
- Engage with colleagues in the BAU to ensure that we have streamlined and effective communication processes to deal with any local stakeholder issues.
- Drive for Results: The drive to exceed goals and push self and others towards high levels of performance.
- Customer Focus: A good understanding and knowledge of our customers’ needs and requirements.
- Communication: Excellent communication skills with an ability to actively listen and negotiate in a demanding environment.
- Collaboration: Excellent interpersonal skills to build effective relationships with staff, contractors and stakeholders.
- Problem-Solving: Proactive in identifying issues and addressing them promptly by working on own initiative.
- Attention to Detail: Good ability to deliver accurate and timely data and information.
- Organised: A highly organised individual that can prioritise and execute several operational initiatives.
- Decision-making: The capacity to make good decisions and delegate responsibility where appropriate.
- Execution Excellence: The capacity to reduce complexity and increase efficiency and simplification in our business processes.
Desired Technical / Professional Qualities
- Education and Experience: Relevant qualification in Forestry or related discipline with a minimum of five years’ experience.
- Forestry: Has in-depth forestry knowledge to sustain the productive capacity of the estate.
- Commercial Acumen: The knowledge to manage financials to maintain profitability and value of the estate.
- Regulatory Compliance: Knowledge and experience to promote a safe-working environment and ensure compliance with environmental, regulatory and silvicultural standards.
- Outward Looking
Closing date for applications is 5pm, Friday 11 November 2022. Please submit your cv to email@example.com and please indicate your desired location.
Coillte is proud to be an equal opportunities employer. We are committed to providing an inclusive and diverse workplace for all which builds upon our core values and fosters a positive work environment where EVERYONE can bring their true self to work and achieve their full potential.
If for any reason you would like us to make any supports or accommodations to help you in making your application please contact us at 01-2011471 or firstname.lastname@example.org