Seed & Vegetative Propagation Manager
To plan and implement the seed and vegetative propagation production programmes in line with agreed budgetary targets, and the delivery of exceptional levels of product & service quality to both internal & external customers. In addition the role includes the planning, establishment and management of seed and hedge orchards to meet business requirements. The role also requires a current knowledge of the legislative and regulatory environment governing the marketing of forest reproductive material, providing advice to other members of the Coillte Nurseries team on proper Forest Reproductive Material compliance and liaising with statutory authorities in regard to national implementation of Forest Reproductive Material regulations.
Role Specific Terms
This is a 3 year fixed term contract. The role will be based in our Ballintemple Nursery Office in Co. Carlow. The salary on offer for this position is negotiable depending upon experience.
People, Leadership, Organisation and Culture
- Create a culture of high performance and motivation in seed and vegetative propagation operations by empowering, developing and coaching people.
- Promote a commercial culture in operations where decisions are made with full consideration of maximising cashflow and long-term value.
- Promote an attitude of simplification to reduce complexity and allow our people to do their best work.
- Actively promote and prioritise a safe working environment for our people, our contractors and customers in Nurseries.
- Contribute to the leadership of nurseries operations on a national basis to make sure that process improvement strategies are developed to improve quality, reduce cost, increase standardisation and implement streamlined business processes.
- As a member of the Nurseries Team, contribute effectively to the successful delivery of our strategy.
- Act as a visible role model for the Group’s values.
Planning & Management
- Plan and implement seed and indoor vegetative propagation production programmes in the context of achieving delivery of planned seed and rooted cuttings quantities within budget to meet market demand.
- Plan and implement a sales and marketing programme for seed sales to achieve forecasted sales and revenue targets, an adequate gross margin on sales, and maintaining sales & marketing costs within budget.
- Produce appropriate planting stock material required to establish seed and hedge orchards.
- Establish and manage seed and hedge orchards in line with business requirements.
- Develop seed and vegetative propagation product and process innovation through the ongoing review of best practice and the management of appropriate Research and Design programmes.
- Meet all financial targets in line with the objectives of the business.
- Liaise with Plant Production and Plant Sales within Nurseries as a prerequisite to the delivery of consistent levels of production and profitability and improvement.
- Implement quality control systems in seed and vegetative propagation production to ensure that operations deliver quality seed and rooted cuttings ready for lining to the specification for our internal and external customers.
- Develop a strong culture of operational excellence and continuous improvement in all our operations to eliminate waste and inefficiency.
- Full compliance with statutory requirements and best practice in regard to collection, procurement, processing and marketing of seed material.
- Full compliance with statutory requirements and best practice in terms of health & safety management, environmental management, procurement of goods & services and other corporate governance.
- Collaborate closely with internal and external customers, to manage relationships and to ensure that seed and vegetative propagation production levels are sufficient to meet or exceed customer commitments.
- Collaborate with Plant Sales and Plant Production to deliver consistent levels of profitability, exceptional levels of customer service, and the long-term strategic development of the Nurseries business.
- To support the overall Nursery Team in creating a culture of innovation, collaboration and simplification across all the processes and operations.
- Drive for Results: The drive to exceed goals and push self and others towards high levels of performance.
- Customer Focus: A good understanding and knowledge of our customers’ needs and requirements.
- Communication: Excellent communication skills with an ability to actively listen and negotiate in a demanding environment.
- Collaboration: Excellent interpersonal skills to build effective relationships with staff, customers and stakeholders.
- Problem-Solving: Proactive in identifying issues and addressing them promptly by working on own initiative.
- Analysis: Strong numeracy and analytical skills and an ability to present information clearly and concisely.
- Multi-Tasking & Organised: A highly organised individual that can prioritise and execute several concurrent initiatives.
- Delegation and Decision-making: The capacity to make good decisions and delegate responsibility and accountability to the appropriate level.
- Execution Excellence: The capacity to reduce complexity and increase efficiency and simplification in our business processes.
- Education and Experience: Relevant third level qualification to HETAC Level 8 in Forestry, Horticulture or related discipline with 3-5 years relevant experience in commercial tree seed, plant propagation or tree improvement role.
- Commercial and Financial Acumen: Can focus on financial and commercial implications of their own activities through minimising costs and maximising revenues.
- People Management: A credible individual with previous experience in managing people.
- Regulatory Compliance: Knowledge and experience to promote a safe-working environment and ensure compliance with environmental, regulatory and silvicultural standards.
This role will be based in our office in Ballintemple Nursery, Co. Carlow. Closing date for applications is 4pm 9 January 2018. Please submit your cv to firstname.lastname@example.org