To support the machine group in harvesting operations to deliver both production targets and support technology development.
Role Specific Terms
This is a 1 year fixed term contract internship. The role will be based in our Portlaoise Office. There is a progressive salary on offer for this role. Initially €9.55 per hour and increasing by €1 each quarter thereafter.
- To support initiatives across Coillte Forest that will support the Coillte Forest strategy especially in the areas of technology, harvesting and procurement.
- To become a competent harvester operator (to QQI Standard).
- To become a competent forwarder operator (to QQI Standard).
- To become fully aware and understand Environmental Risk Assessment and mitigation measures.
- To become fully aware and understand how to recognise on-site hazards and operate forest machinery in a safe manner.
- To understand and assist in moving machines between Harvest Units.
- To become proficient in machine maintenance and repairs.
- To work collaboratively with Harvesting Staff in the BAU in order to ensure Log Production targets are achieved or exceeded.
- To engage fully in the development of innovative new processes and technologies.
People, Organisation and Culture
- To support the Machine Group in creating a culture of simplification and reduce complexity.
- To support the promotion of a commercial culture in the production of logs where trees are cross-cut optimally in order to maximise revenue.
- To promote an attitude of respect for people in the workplace where trust is nurtured and people feel empowered to do their job.
- Actively promote, manage and prioritise a safe working environment.
- To take ownership and be responsible for assigned tasks and activities.
- To develop an appreciation of Customer end markets for sawn products and how the harvesting operation can positively impact them.
- To understand log quality and ensure logs are produced to a standard that meets our customers expectation.
- To support the development of an outward looking culture where we deeply understand our customer requirements.
- Drive for Results: The drive to exceed goals and push self and others towards high levels of performance.
- Customer Focus: A good understanding and knowledge of our customers’ needs and requirements.
- Communication: Good communication skills with an ability to actively listen and negotiate.
- Collaboration: Excellent interpersonal skills to build effective relationships with staff, contractors and stakeholders.
- Problem-Solving: Proactive in identifying issues and addressing them promptly by working on own initiative.
- Attention to Detail: Good ability to deliver accurate and timely data and information.
- Organised: A highly organised individual that can prioritise and execute several operational initiatives.
- Decision-making: The capacity to make good decisions and the ability to achieve deadlines when required and to effectively prioritise between competing demands.
- Working solo: Content to work on your own for extended periods of time.
Desired Professional Competencies:
- Education and Experience: Relevant qualification in Forestry or related discipline. Working knowledge of harvesting machinery would be desirable.
- Commercial and Financial Acumen: Operates in an informed, flexible manner to ensure own activities are in line with team and department's objectives.
- Regulatory Compliance: Knowledge and experience to promote a safe-working environment and ensure compliance with environmental, regulatory and silvicultural standards.
This role will be based in our office in Portlaoise. Closing date for applications is 4pm Tuesday 21 November 2017. Please submit your cv to email@example.com